The Café Royal in Regent Street first opened its doors in 1865, but it has now been transformed to become a 160 room luxury hotel with spa facilities, retail outlets, a business centre and swimming pool.
The project provided many challenges for Construction Manager Mace as it required changing an existing listed building from one use to another, the conversion of which posed greater challenges than building a dedicated project from scratch.
Mace enlisted the help of Billington Structures to fabricate and supply over a thousand tonnes of structural steel to an eight storey building situated behind the retained façade of the Café Royal. Whilst the construction work continued, Billington had to be mindful of protecting the special areas of interest within the Café Royal and County Mark building.
The project began on site in mid-August 2009 and took 3 years of building and restoration work.